Health Professions Peer Ambassadors (HPPAs) are UConn undergraduate students who are pursuing a health-professions track, alongside diverse major plans of study, and are involved in the greater university community in many ways. They work closely with the Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Advising Office to share their experiences and mentor other students throughout their pre-professional journeys. HPPAs attend various office group advising sessions, workshops, and campus outreach events and are available for weekly in-person drop-in and virtual drop-in mentoring hours.
Please click on the profiles below for individual biographies, “specialty” topics, 1:1 peer mentoring hours, or to send a question to an individual HPPA using the Ask a Question form.
NOTE: There are certain topics of conversation that are best addressed during a 1:1 appointment with a staff advisor from our office. If an HPPA does not think that they are the best person to address your questions, they may refer you to a staff advisor. The following are some sample topics that staff advisors versus HPPAs are best equipped to address.
HPPA Fall 2023 Drop-In Hours*:
*Beginning Tuesday, September 19, 2023
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm: In-person in Rowe 426
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm: Virtual via WebEx (join here)
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm: In-person in Rowe 426 and Virtual via WebEx (join here)
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm: In-person in Rowe 426
- 10:00am - 12:00pm: In-person in Rowe 426
- 11:00pm - 2:00pm: Virtual via WebEx (join here)
If you are interested in meeting with a specific Health Professions Peer Ambassador, please click on their profile below to view their individual drop-in hours.
When to meet with an HPPA:
- Exploring pathways for becoming engaged in clinical, service, or research opportunities
- Balancing schoolwork and co-curricular engagement
- Learning about study/test-taking strategies that have worked for them
- Transferring from a regional UConn campus to Storrs as a pre-health professional student
- Developing leadership skills
When to meet with a staff advisor:
- Discussing whether to accept AP or ECE credit or not
- Engaging in in-depth conversations about coursework, grades, and standardized test scores
- Gauging your readiness to apply to health professional schools
- Planning your growth year(s)
- Speaking about specific aspects of your health professions school application