Prioritizing Yourself During Midterms, and Always

By Yulianny De Los Santos, Health Professions Peer Ambassador

Well, well, well, here we are nearing halfway into our Spring 2022 semester. I’m almost halfway done with semester 6 in my journey here at UConn and I do have to say time has flown by. Although I’ve done this six times now, it does not keep me from the feelings of tiredness and being overwhelmed–feeling like I don’t have control of every single aspect of my life. If you’re feeling the same way, YOU. ARE. NOT. ALONE. 

If we went around and asked every college student how they’re feeling at this moment, the majority would express similar sentiments. At times it can be difficult juggling all of your responsibilities at once, including academics, employment, internships, research, clinical experience, and volunteer work. It can be a lot, so I want to be the kind voice that says “It will be okay.” I want to remind you that it is more than okay to take a break and give some attention to yourself. Your body is a temple. It’s what allows us to function and without it at or close to 100%, we often don’t excel to our fullest potential in our academics and other responsibilities. 

Now, when I do take some self-care time for myself, I am guilty of thinking, “Wow, I could have been working on my lab report, or I could have been studying for my exam.” Those are valid points, but the truth is you could always be doing something else, but YOU should be your own priority. Prioritizing yourself can mean many things, such as spending time with friends, going to the gym, making your favorite food, talking with family, or watching Tiktoks, which is my personal favorite. Afterwards, you’ll feel energized and ready to keep tackling assignments and long study sessions. Personally speaking, taking this dedicated time for myself lifts my spirits and allows for more effective productivity. I hope my insight brought you some ease in tackling the busy midterm season. You got this–I believe in every one of you.

Yulianny is a junior physiology and neurobiology major and human development and family studies minor. Click here to learn more about and connect with Yulianny.